Essential Study Skills:
An Essential Workshop for Middle and High School Students
In our Middle and High School Essential Study Skills workshop, students learn practical step-by-step study skills, including how to organize, take notes, manage time, prepare for tests, and use executive functioning strategies. These are essential skills in today’s competitive academic environment.
Our evidence and pedagogical-based program, teaches students how to use and apply study skills, executive function, organization, and time-management, to their academic work.
The S4 program was designed using a rigorous scope and sequence methodology, with easy-to-implement skills, tools and strategies that students can use and apply immediately.
We teach students the tools needed to focus, establish discipline, think critically, and become independent learners to prepare them for lifelong learning, in and out of school.
Features and goals of our study skills workshops include:
- Goal setting
- Active reading and listening
- Using tablets and computers
- Notetaking: on paper, and online
- Annotating, mnemonic devices
- The importance of using graphic organizers
- Executive functioning, task initiation
- Time management and organization
- Subject specific study strategies
- Test-taking strategies
- Creating study guides and setting up study plans
- Procrastination, motivation and effort
- Teacher-student relationships and the importance of self-advocacy
- Staying focused, attentive, and distraction-free
- Strategies for deeper understanding, longer retention
- Preventing and coping with stress and anxiety
Your student should take this class if they:
- Want better grades
- Want to study with greater ease and efficiency
- Would benefit from time management, organization, and executive functioning
- Want to become an independent learner
- Plan, organize and manage time
- Take notes when reading and listening
- Complete assignments and projects on time without cramming
- Study and prepare for class and tests
- Apply strategies for active reading and listening
- Pay attention and stay focused
- Study and stay on-task for precision, retention and speed
- Feel confident in their abilities
By the end of the workshop your student will have:
- An easy-to-implement system for studying
- A step-by-step, systematic approach for better academic performance and grades
- The know-how to organize their assignments and time
- The know-how to study, prepare, and schedule and study for tests and other assignments
- A newfound confidence!
Five reasons why you should register your student for our study skills workshop:
- Increased academic performance
- Deeper academic engagement
- Increased motivation and confidence
- Improved comprehension and retention
- Reduced anxiety and stress
- 7.5-hour Workshops are $395
- 6-hour Workshops are $345
- 10% sibling or referral credit
- Class limited to 15
- Parent review email sent after each session
- In-class and at-home study materials included
Unless marked “Exclusive,” workshops are open to all area students.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will my student benefit from the Essentials Study Skills workshop?
Lead by dynamic, highly trained teacher, your student will learn and engage in activities designed to clearly and logically teach the, how to use and apply strategies and skills for deeper understanding, motivation, reduces stress, better results, and academic confidence.
Some of the key benefits include:
- Increased academic performance
- Deepened academic engagement
- Increased motivation
- Better material retention
- Improved comprehension
- Reduced stress
- Increased confidence
- Better grades
My student has a learning disability. Will they benefit from this workshop?
Absolutely! Every single one of our students is unique and different. That’s exactly why they are in the workshop – to learn and build their confidence with their academic career. Our teachers are trained to work with students of all levels and abilities.
My student is an excellent student. Will they benefit from this workshop?
Definitely! We have a blend of students, many are AP, Honors, or Straight A students that want to get the extra edge on learning how to study and be prepared for transitioning in to Middle School, High School, and even College or even just refining their study skills.
What Parents and Students Say About The Essential Study Skills Workshop
“Congratulations!! Morgan came home a different person. He truly felt like a student. He said, and I quote, “I can’t wait to go back to school!” I can’t make this up. Great stuff.”
Lynn Moore, Fairfield Ludlowe High School mother
“This is the best thing I learned since kindergarten.”
Ryan P., Scotts Ridge Middle School, Ridgefield student
“My son was staying up till all hours with his homework before he took your workshop. Now he is truly working smarter, not harder, and getting the best grades he’s ever received.”
Kim D., Greens Farms Academy, Westport mother
“I wanted my daughter to learn better test-taking skills, and that’s exactly what she learned.”
Danielle G., Greenwich High School mother
“I’m so glad Chris took this class to help ease his transition from elementary to middle school. He will definitely take a refresher before entering high school.”
Christine M., Rye Middle School mother
“This is exactly the class I needed to help me organize, plan and manage my workload, especially with my extracurricular activities and service work.”
Quinn P., Bronxville High School student
“I wanted to let you know about my high school daughter’s experience in your workshop. She is, and has always been, a straight A high honors student. Despite those “stats”, she found your class really good and helpful. The next day she used the note taking technique she learned in S4, and it made note taking in class easier. It also re-energized her for school. S4 is for every student, those struggling to honor students, and everyone in between. Just because a student gets good grades doesn’t mean they know how to study and get the most out of class.”
Ann Green, Fairfield
Can’t Make a Scheduled Study Skills Workshop?
We’ll Bring the Workshop to You
Schedule a Study Skills Workshop for your student and their friends!
For groups of seven or more, S4 is easily able to customize a workshop for your student and their friends, scheduled at a time and location convenient to the group: on the weekends, after-school, or during a school break.
In three 2.5-hour sessions, students will learn evidence-based easy-to-implement strategies and systems to be active, engaged and successful in school.